Doctors have traced a man's kidney failure to his habit of drinking a gallon of iced tea each day.
Black tea has a chemical called oxalate, known to cause kidney stones or even kidney failure in excessive amounts.
But tea isn't the only everyday ingestible that could kill you.
These licorice-clad models may look delicious, but beware.
According to the Food and Drug Administration, people 40 or older who eat 2 ounces of black licorice a day for at least two weeks could end up in the hospital with an irregular heart rhythm or arrhythmia.
Credit: Hermann J. Knippertz/AP
The reason? Black licorice contains the compound glycyrrhizin, a sweetener that comes from licorice root.
Glycyrrhizin can cause potassium levels in the body to fall.
Water is the stuff of life, of course. That said....
Credit: Gerard Julien/AFP/Getty Images
In 2007, a woman died after drinking too much water as part of a radio station giveaway contest.
Drinking large quantities of water rapidly can throw off the body's balance of electrolytes, causing brain swelling and leading to seizures, coma, or even death.
Credit: Daniel Berehulak/Getty Images
Scientists say a "surprisingly small amount" of salt can prove fatal. As little as 2 teaspoons of table salt can raise sodium in the body to dangerous levels.
In one case cited in medical research, a 45-year-old woman with an eating disorder became comatose and died after consuming 3 or 4 tablespoons of salt.
In March 2015, New York mom Lacey Spears, left, was convicted of killing her 5-year-old son, Garnett, by putting salt into his hospital feeding tube.
Credit: Facebook via CBS New York
A few cups of coffee? No problem. But it is possible to OD on caffeine.
Beware of caffeine powder, which is sometimes promoted to give your workout a kick...
Credit: Karen Tam/AP
Logan Stiner, 18, of LaGrange, Ohio, died of a caffeine powder overdose in May 2014, an autopsy found.
He was found to have more than 70 micrograms of caffeine per milliliter of blood in his system. Only 50 micrograms is considered a lethal dose.
Energy drinks are wildly popular, but drinking too much has been blamed for the deaths of several teens.
A lawsuit filed by the family of Anais Fournier, 14, says the girl died of cardiac arrest after drinking two, 24-ounce cans of Monster energy drinks in a 24-hour period. A trial date is pending in that case.
A lawsuit related to another death, that of Alex Morris, 19, was recently "resolved," according to attorneys representing Morris's family. Morris died of cardiac arrest in 2012 after consuming at least two cans of Monster energy drink.
Some people love the taste of liver.
But overindulging in the livers of certain animals may not be wise.
Credit: Toru Hanai/Reuters
There's a reason why the Inuit shun the liver of polar bears and bearded seals; experts estimate that a mere 500 grams of polar bear liver has enough vitamin A to kill a human. Other animal livers, such as moose and seal, also contain a very high amount of vitamin A.
The good news: Beef livers are considered much safer when it comes to vitamin A levels.